Food for the skin with Farmacia Villalón
The skin is the largest organ and we are concerned, among other things, because it impacts how we are perceived in first instance.
Skin care is often a topic of conversation, and many times we base its care from the outside. And while this is necessary, we cannot forget the importance of what we eat to achieve a healthier and a more beautiful skin. The synergy will undoubtedly improve the balance of our skin.
In this post we give you some tips on how through food we can take care of the skin inside and bring greater potential to our skin:
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants daily, that are present mainly in:
- Fruits and vegetables. Choose seasonal ones, combining colors. The synergy of different antioxidant mechanisms will help achieve greater benefits for your skin.
- Species and condiments. Paprika, rosemary, oregano, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, cloves, garlic, ginger… They have high antioxidant power. In summer, it is very easy to use them in salads, vegetables … The use of spices and condiments can help minimize the use of salt.
Remember that when you expose yourself to the sun, if in addition to adequate sun protection you consume foods rich in antioxidants (tomato, orange, carrots, beet, spinach, avocado, kiwi…), you will help the skin from the inside and your protection will be more effective.
- Eat foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids frequently. Where do you find them? In oily fish, flax seeds, chia seeds… Within oily fish, avoid those that given their size, they may have accumulated heavy metals. It is more advisable to consume the little ones: sardines, mackerel, anchovies… The sardine season is fundamentally between July 15 and August 15. Apart from being very good, nutritionally it is a very advisable food.
- Avoid insulin spikes:
- It’s better to eat vegetables and whole fruit rather than purées and compotes.
- Accompany legumes and cereals with vegetables; the absorption will be slower.
- Avoid industrial sugary juices and drinks.
- Reduce processed foods, as they are rich in added sugars.
- Keep hydrated and you will have a juicier skin. After sunbathing, remember that hydration is very important as well as the use of products that provide antioxidants.
- In summer, take advantage of foods and “recipes” in which culinary elaboration is not needed, such as salads, gazpachos… Remember that any culinary treatment that involves an increase in temperature, leads to a change in the characteristics of the food.
- Alcohol, better avoid it and if not, consume it in a “very” moderate way.
- Consume unrefined foods: the fiber intake will be greater. Fiber has important properties such as: reducing intestinal transit time, it is fermentable by the microflora of the colon, it reduces the level of total blood cholesterol and / or the level of LDL cholesterol, reduces glucose and / or insulin levels after a meal…
- In skin, mucous membranes and intestines live various species of microorganisms (billions) that favor our health; we could say that they take care of us “inside and out”. Hence the importance of eating probiotic and prebiotic foods, as they reinforce our microbiota.
And remember: avoiding overweight, you’ll take care of your skin. It is possible also in the summer: practice moderate exercise and consume balanced meals. Together with less stress and anxiety, it is possible to keep our weight “in balance”.
Written in collaboration with Farmacia Villalón.