10 Tips to Minimize Oxidative Stress and Premature Aging
In the day to day we are exposed to factors that can generate free radicals and hence oxidative stress, damaging cells and tissues and resulting in premature ageing. Environmental pollution, electromagnetic waves, ultraviolet radiation, exposure to X-rays, stress, infections, chemicals, extreme physical exercise, certain medications and certain food, tobacco, alcohol, and many more are examples of these factors.
Several important aspects to consider in this reality:
• Inflammatory processes, cancer and ageing are related to oxidative stress.
• There are factors that are beyond our control, while we can act against others.
• Antioxidants, of endogenous and exogenous origin, can delay or significantly inhibit the oxidative process.
• Antioxidants act by different mechanisms and at different levels. It is interesting to use different types since the synergy and complementarity of antioxidants enhances their effectiveness.
Therefore we give you the following 10 tips to prevent and slow down oxidative stress:
1. No to tobacco
2. No to excessive sun exposure, especially in the central hours of the day.
3. No to stress.
4. No to extreme sport.
5. No to alcohol.
6. No to processed food and fast food.
7. Yes to moderate, aerobic and anaerobic exercise, and to taking deep breaths.
8. Yes to fresh foods, a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and seasonal vegetables, legumes and whole grains … All of them will provide you with many vitamins, oligoelements and different phytochemicals with antioxidant function.
9. Yes to using cosmetics with various antioxidants, with different mechanisms of action. Carotenoids, polyphenols, tocopherols, triterpenes … are key in the prevention of chronic inflammation of the skin, especially important for their ability to neutralize free radicals.
10. Yes to a good conversation, a good walk and a nice meal with good company.
As mentioned, it is important to bear in mind that the synergy and complementarity of different antioxidants enhances effectiveness, so take care of yourself and enjoy a healthy life!